Then there are a few comics that didn’t quite make my absolute favourites list, either because they weren’t up there with my favourites or there were only moments that I loved or various other reasons. But I didn’t want to skip them entirely, so here they are. Continue reading
Animal Man #25
1) Love the fact that this book is still about a superhero who also has a family.
2) The Brother Blood arc is fine, but isn’t drawing me in the way previous storylines did.
3) That ending looks fantastic, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.
Liked a lot. Continue reading
1) Wish we’d gotten to “see” the blackout, rather than just being told there was one.
2) Really liked the conversation between Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. Looking forward to seeing what develops from there.
3) Maybe I’m missing something, but what was the relevance of the words on the helmet at the end?
LOVED. But why on earth was it $4.99? Continue reading
Captain Marvel #17
1) Post-Infinity, and we return to the memory loss storyline. Still fantastic, despite the multiple issue gap for the event.
2) The supporting cast is just as strong as the lead.
3) This is the last issue of this volume of Captain Marvel (it’ll be back next year with new numbering), yet this issue is as good a last issue as it would be a first.
LOVED. Continue reading
Daredevil Dark Knights #5
It’s not a complicated issue, as Daredevil chases a ten inch little man who is carrying a bomb and intending to kill the man who had his cousin murdered. And all the while, the Avengers are battling a giant monster. But the plot isn’t the best part of the story. The best part is seeing Daredevil forced to think about his ethics and the right thing to do. The craziness of the story is an added bonus. Continue reading
Captain Marvel #15
How do you combine the aftermath of a mini-event (Enemy Within) with a big event (Infinity)? Just like this. You don’t take the easy way and say “this takes place before…” No, you tie in the heartbreaking finale of Enemy Within and make it work perfectly in the context of a giant space battle. Continue reading
Howdy folks, and welcome to the first of a hopefully weekly column of mini reviews of the comics I pick up each week. I don’t quite have a name for it yet, but I’ll see what ideas develop. And I’m completely open to suggestions!
Batman Annual #2
Even though figuring out the timing of this story threw me off a bit, it’s a good solid issue. Batman is helping to test the security at Arkham Asylum, and there’s a new antagonist, though I wasn’t completely sold on her motivation. Continue reading